Sunday, May 1, 2011

Birthday Party Project

Yesterday was my beloved Avery's sixth birthday. Sixth. My boy has spent six years without a family. It breaks my heart.

But, this year, I decided to celebrate. To celebrate his life. To celebrate the hope he has in Christ. To celebrate that he is not forgotten.
My parents were out of town and my brother wasn't home, but Michael, Julia, and Lela Grace were game:

So we got balloons. (We got birthday plates and noise makers too but forgot to take a picture of them. I'm sure the neighbors were delighted, however.)


We hung a banner in the trees.



We bought a beautiful, colorful banner. I wanted everything to be colorful to go with Reece's Rainbow. I made colorful cupcakes but forgot to take pictures of them. However, if I had, it would have looked something like this:

If you have a Prayer Warrior child or a New Years warrior child or a sponsor child, find out his birthdays. If on Reece's Rainbow it just says the month, pick a day. Thats what I did. Spend that day praying for him. Write him a letter. Make him cupcakes. Whatever. The goal is to remember to be in prayer for your little love. If people ask you what you're doing and why you are doing it, praise the Lord. This doubles as an opportunity to raise awareness. Tell your friends. Tell your family. Tell random people on the internet who read your blog (Just kidding. You aren't random. And I love you for putting up with me).

If you buy a banner or a pack of plates or rainbow candles, get a little box and put them in there and use them next year when your RR child's birthday roles around, or if you pray for several children, pull them back out in another couple of months.

"So we do not loose heart. Though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day."

~1 Corinthians 4:16~

4 comments:

  1. Audrey, I just love how you advocate for these children. It is truly inspiring! In fact, I just emailed Reese's Rainbow to ask if I could be a prayer warrior for one of the children :) Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats fantastic!!! I'd love to see a picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're brilliant, nicnameless child. I love your advocation for these children so much!! I agree with Elliot - it really is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh!! I love this!! And I'm so happy you were able to make the cupcakes! (sooo sorry for never getting back to you about them!). Avery is seriously SO handsome!

    ReplyDelete