Monday, January 3, 2011

Hailing the New Year


It's 2011 folks.

A LOT is going to happen this year. I feel like for the last, well, I guess 17 years I have at least sort of know what life is going to be like for me in the coming year. This year is different, God is doing some crazy things in the lives of my family.
This post is really more of a journal than anything but in this year I plan to:

*Graduate from highschool.* Oh. My. Word. In some ways I am so ready and in other ways it seems surreal and terrifying.

*Go somewhere away from my hometown to work over the summer.* (I love my town--love it. But the college I plan to attend is in the same town I've grown up in, so I need to get away in the summers.)

*Start college.* ahhhhhhhhhhh.

*Begin attending a new church.* Okay, this is the biggy. And the real reason I started this post. I have talked a little about the church we are currently attending. My pastor and worhship leader and several others had had this vision of planting a church together for many years. Four years ago, they planted a daughter church out of my old church, and our family was one of several who left the old church to be a part of the new one. It was difficult for me at first, but after a few months I was happier than I'd ever been in my life, had more and better friends than I'd ever had in my life, had a totally new understanding and appreciation for worship, was learning more about the Word than I ever had in my life, and was entirely surrounded by wonderful, wise, missions-minded, people. And its been fantastic. The ways in which my family has grown and the Lord has enirched our lives are truly mind boggling.
Before the church began God called our congregation to be peculiar in that, instead of growing and building a huge building, to plant other churches. We just never anticipated it to be this soon. We probably have about 300 or 400 members, and the Lord has made a way for us to fufill the vision He called us to. He has provided us with a second location as well as the most amazing pastor for the plant. It's time.
My pastor was speaking yesterday about how much harder it is to do missions when we are comfortable and content. And boy, are we content. Everyone of us is mourning what we are losing, because we are so happy. I literally don't think there was a dry eye at church yesterday. But he went on to explain how perfect it was that God had chosen this time for us, just after advent, because the incarnation of Christ truly is the Lord going on mission. Christ left home- a perfect home. He left fellowship and communion- a perfect communion with the Trinity. He was content, but He came. For us. That we might be like Him.

He also explained that missions work is not the ultimate goal of the church. Worship is. Missions will come to an end, when the trumpet sounds mission work will be over. But Worship is eternal. We go on mission to make worshipers. Just as Christ did.

I have never been a part of a body, school, church or otherwise where the entire aim was missional. Literally everything about the philosophy and identity of the church is centered around spreading the gospel. Bringing darkness to light. Advancing the kingdom. Because we aren't stopping with one church plant. Now there are two churches who are intent on planting churches as soon as God provides the opportunity. Its a multiplication concept. Its a world vision concept, because the first two churches will be in suburbia in the Bible belt. But the next will hopefully be in the inner city. And then maybe in a muslim community. And maybe all over our state. And our country. And maybe in Ethiopia.

I know church planting isn't a new concept- The Lord is stirring this same vision in many churches across the globe today- maybe in your own. But it isn't new. The concept of church planting goes back to the early churches in the new testament. I'm just zealous about it because I'm watching the Lord's promises come to life. Its painful. Its hard. And it is the work of the Lord.
"I will build My Church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."
~Matthew 16:18~

I am really going to miss this place.

Blessed be the name of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment