Friday, January 8, 2010

Have I ever mentioned....

Have I ever mentioned that I happen to be obsessed with baby names? I'm surprised at myself for not saying something sooner. Really. OBSESSED. I hardly converse on any topic with more delight than names. Few, very very few people will talk with me about it long enough for me to voluntarily change the subject.

Oh, and I don't just love random names floating around--- I like categorizing them and thinking about how they go with other names.

Did someone say names? Funny- I love names! While we're on the subject, d'you want to discuss a few? GREAT!

So, there are those names which I like, but not enough to name my child, there are those names which I think are so much fun but I'm not quite sure my child would still love me if I named them that, and there are those names which I can see myself having a child with that name.

How do you feel about:
Ivy --- been planning on naming my daughter this since I was eight. It means 'ivy' duhhh. But it always makes me think of Life- of things that are green and growing

Bethlehem --- as in "oh little town of"--- its actually a common name in Ethiopia. "But, you, O Bethlehem Ephrathah, who are too little to be among the clans of Judah, from you shall come forth for me one who is to be ruler in Israel, whose coming forth is from of old, from ancient days." ~Micah 5:2~

Joseph ---- its my little brother's name and Joseph father of Jesus is one of my VERY VERY FAVORITE characters in the Bible. It means, 'He shall add" and it is usually taken to mean "God shall add another son". The meaning doesn't really do a ton for me, but I'd name my son after my brother and the biblical hero, not for what it means, on this one.

alright, so those are just a few of my all-time-favorites-I-might -name-my-child-this kind of names.

ALSO:

Sparrow- I'm afraid that I won't have the courage to do this to my own little girl, but if some Mommy out there does, go her!

Please tell me what you think!!! Extensively! :)

2 comments:

  1. Aww girl I'm with you on the names!!! So much fun!
    I agree with you on Sparrow....not sure I would name my daughter that one. The minute she went to Kindergarten and kids asked why she was named after a bird I would regret it.
    My favorite boy name is Isaiah, but Joseph is right up there in the running.
    And I love the girl names Ivy and Bethlehem. I've loved the name Ivy ever since I saw "The Wish That Saved Christmas" on TV when I was a little girl. It's the story of this orphan who has no place to go for CHristmas and her orphanage director puts her on a train. There's a mix-up and she gets off at the wrong spot, but ends up finding a family who takes her in. Makes me cry. Every time.
    Anyways...thanks for sharing your love of names haha. It's fun to find other people who love them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! I was so excited to see this post! I LOVE thinking about baby names and what I will name my children. I am always asking people what they think of this or that name and they just roll their eyes. I LOVE the name Joseph. Its special to me for multiple reasons and I will name one of my sons that. I also like the name Ivy for a middle name but dont think I would ever be able to name my child that.

    Oh and about the children I sponsor. Yup those are all my kiddos but it's kind of confusing. I only pay the sponsorship money for my Ugandan Boys and Estela. The rest I correspond with. They think of me as their sponsor but I write them because their actual sponsor cant or doesnt want to write them. I love it.

    No my Ugandan boys are sponsored through a school program. www.christianupliftmentschool.com

    So you actually went to Uganda? That is AWESOME! I want to go there sometime soon.

    Ok I am so sorry for making this so long. I tend to ramble. I will end this comment (Ahem, novel) now
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete