Saturday, May 1, 2010

Flash Flood


We've had one.



More like a flash monsoon, really.
This is our basement. Inside our house where we live. In about 2 inches of water.



3 inches. And, all in a matter of 2 minutes. Not exagerating.




Bedroom sweet bedroom, why puddlest thou? Why be thou soakest, all mine belongings? Why bubblest, thou water, out of my floor?



I wish I had pictures of what outside looks like, maybe tomorrow. We usually live two doors down from a creek. Today we live 2 doors down from a raging river, which extends a foot deep into our neighbor's basement . We got soaked running around picking everything up off the floor, darting around the neighborhood checking on everybody, and digging a ditch.


You heard me. Digging a ditch. In the thunder storm. All day.



Most of the water was pouring into the basement for the part of our yard shaped vaguely like a bowl. So my wonderful father, who is absolutely amazing in a crisis, sees the situation, discovers the source of the problem and he and Joseph get our the shovels and start digging to direct the water away from our house, while Lela Grace kept the twins and mom and my grandparents and I tried to salvage our belongings which were floating out the door.



It was quite an adventure.



An adventure that really drove home to us the many ways that God blessed and provided for us.

An adventure that allowed us to get to know our neighbors in a whole new way.

An adventure that made memories (and chocolate chip cookies).

An adventure that renewed for us the power of the Lord


An adventure that reminded us of the promise.


"This is the sign of the covenant between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations: I have set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be a sign of the covenant that is between me and the earth. When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds, I will remember my covenant that is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh. And the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. When the bow is in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth."

~Genesis 9:12-16~

2 comments:

  1. Audrey! Im so sorry! If you need any help at call me and my Dad can come over! Your poor bedroom...
    but seriously...call me woman if you need ANYTHING

    ReplyDelete